By Pastor Zach Villafuerte
Generation Y (Millennials) and Generation Z
– Digital Generation – Internet; Facebook/Twitter/Youtube (has never known a world without computers or cell phones)
– Gets most of their information and socialization on the internet.
– 61% have televisions in their rooms.
– Known as the KGOY – Kids growing older younger (they leave toys behind at a younger age in order to play with computers, other electronics and video games.
– Savvy consumers (they know what they want and how to get it), and they are over saturated with brands.
– Self-centered generation (“be yourself and true to yourself”)
– Have been told constantly that they are special so they expect everyone to treat them as such.
– Don’t live to work, they prefer a more relaxed work environment with lots of hand holding and accolades.
– Have big dreams and wants to accomplish much – but is unwilling to work for that accomplishment.
– Work less – paid more mentality.
– More Spiritual, less religious
– Many of those who claim Christianity are either mushy or nominal at best, most are just indifferent about their faith
- 65% of those who claim to be Christian never pray with others, and 38% don’t even pray by themselves.
- 67% don’t read the bible or other sacred texts
- Only 40% are willing to share their faith in Jesus to others.
- 1 out of 2 are unsure that Jesus is the only way to heaven
So clearly the question becomes, why is this generation important to God?
– God values heritage – as Pastor Dave already spoke about (genealogies in the Bible)
– Children are something to be desire because they are a gift from God
- Ps 127:3-5, God commanded us to be fruitful and multiply (Gen 1:28,9:7)
– God enjoys the nature and personality of children (Matt 18:1-6, 19:13-15)
– God desires that children be taught His Word and His Ways
- Deut 4:9-10, 6:1-7; Titus 2:1-8
– The Next Generation is Part of Today’s Church (1 Tim 4:12)
– Teach God’s Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Traditional -TeamKID, Youth Nights on Wednesdays, Sunday School classes
- Modern – Creatively and authoritatively – use of media and digital mediums
– Build Relationships
- Pray for our youth – Paul always prayed for the saints
- Have a presence – Titus 2 (the older men/women should teach the younger men/women) – reach out and mentor, they need to know what men/women of God look like
- Get involved– how can you tangibly get involved in some of the ministries that are geared toward youth
- Generation Next
- Sunday School and Extended Session (Toddlers/Nursery)
- Various Church events in 2012