THE SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORD…
- Wonder of Scripture’s history: Bible was written over 1,500 years, and one of the most ancient of all books. It tells about creation, people, places, settings with accurate detail.
“these things took place as examples for us” (1 Cor 10:6)
- Wonder of Scripture’s prophecy: Bible was written with prophecies of events to happen hundreds of years, and in some cases, thousands of years before the events. While many prophecies have been fulfilled, there are many yet to happen – but we can trust they will based on God’s accuracy and faithfulness in the past.
- Wonder of Scripture’s formation: Bible was written across 3 continents (Asia, Africa, Europe), 3 languages, and affirmed as the sacred writings breathed out by God and eyewitnesses of God’s majesty (2 Tim 3:16; 2 Pet 1:16-21; 1 Jn 1:3).
- Wonder of Scripture’s unity: 40+ authors with 66 books and one single message of God’s redemption through the promised Christ.
“The Law of Moses and the Prophets and Psalms are fulfilled in Christ” (Lk 24:44; Jn 5:39; Heb 1:1-3)
- Wonder of Scripture’s preservation: For centuries, empires have sought to ban and burn the Bible, individuals have sought to discredit its content, but it survives.
“The grass withers and flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.” (Isa 40:6)
- Wonder of Scripture’s power: The Bible accurately describes and displays the reality of humanity. Further, when people read the Bible their life falls under conviction of something holy and Someone gracious; they are often moved to realize where they fall short, and by the Spirit are moved to repentance and faith with life change, and ultimately God’s word leads to salvation and sustaining hope. Jesus has the words of eternal life (Jn 6:68).
“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” Heb 4:11-12)
- Wonder of Scripture’s impact: Bible is a best seller every year even among secular books, and is read by all kinds of people from scholarly to common, urban and rural, translated in 704 languages for a full Bible and selections in 2,711 additional languages (3,945 languages with no Scripture). The Bible has impacted every domain of society: language, culture, history, sociology, psychology, agriculture, literature, art, film, education, science, medicine, laws, morality, human rights, and theology.
God’s word is perfect, reviving the soul; sure, making wise the simple; fitting, rejoicing the heart; pure, enlightening the eyes; true and righteous altogether… More to be desired are they than gold and sweeter than a honeycomb (Ps 19:7-11).
“His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence” (2 Peter 1:3)