Below is an outline of a new membership covenant we are creating. Feel free to comment and share constructive feedback.
MEANINGFUL MEMBERSHIP @ SPBC
µ Believers in Jesus Christ
- Ephesians 2:8-10
- Salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone
- Psalm 19
- Inspired: God revealed through Scripture
- Inerrancy: God’s word is perfect and without error and trustworthy
- Infallible: God’s word is true to all it speaks
- Intimate: God’s word is a treasure for our life and living
µ Baptist: Southern Baptist Convention
- Matthew 28:18-20
- Baptism by immersion (see Pastor Dave’s God & Baptism faq)
- Baptist Faith Message 2000
- Cooperative Program: Local Church; ABA; BCMD; NAMB; IMB
µ Body of Christ
- Ephesians 4:11-16
- Christ as Chief Shepherd
- Church Council
- Ministry Teams: Worship, Discipleship, Fellowship-Ministry, Great Commission
- Committees: Building & Grounds, Deacon, Finance, Personnel, Sunday School, Trustee, WEE, Youth/Children
- Ministry Staff
µ Bylaws & Budget
- Romans 12:1-13
- Brief overview
µ Mission & Values
GOD: God and His Word are central to all of life; THEREFORE, worship is our heartbeat. (cf. Matthew 6:33; John 3:3; Acts 2:38)
– Biblical Themes: Creation; Fall; Redemption; Restoration
– Understand the gospel of Jesus Christ, repentance, faith and salvation.
– Become a worshiper and disciple of Jesus Christ.
Meaningful Membership: I will honor God through faithful personal and corporate worship with my church.
OTHERS: People matter both to God and us, THEREFORE, loving one another is our heartbeat. (cf. 1John 4:7-21)
– Connect with a small group community to know and be known.
Meaningful Membership: I will honor God through faithful friendships, protecting unity in my church and participate in a small group Bible fellowship (SS or other).
SPIRITUAL GROWTH: Discipleship and spiritual maturity are for all believers; THEREFORE, understanding and applying Scripture is our heartbeat. (Acts 2:42-47; 1 Timothy 4:8; 1 Peter 2:2)
– Identify talents, gifts, resources and means to serve God and others
– Understand discipleship is a lifestyle.
Meaningful Membership: I will honor God through faithful discipleship growth, service with my gifts and support financially (tithe and offerings) my church.
PRAYER & PRAISE: Prayer and praise toward God is a lifestyle and a community experience; THEREFORE, seeking and treasuring Jesus in all things is our heartbeat (cf. 1 Corinthians 10:31; Psalm 100).
– Learning a God-centered vision for life in view of eternity
Meaningful Membership: I will honor God through faithful prayer and testimony of my church.
EVANGELIZING: Glocal (local & global) evangelism and missions are a priority; THEREFORE, intentional relationships and strategic partners to make Jesus known is our heartbeat (cf. Luke 10:25-37; Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 1:8)
– Communicating the gospel with others in truth and love.
Meaningful Membership: I will honor God through faithful living and sharing the gospel with others.
LEADING GENERATIONS: Leaders in the home, church and community are essential to future spiritual legacy, THEREFORE, developing leaders in each of these areas is our heartbeat (cf. Deuteronomy 6; Psalm 78).
– Faith starts with individuals and leads out from the home, church and world.
Meaningful Membership: I will honor God through faithful investment of growing godly generations.
SIGNED: ______________________________ DATE:_______________