READ RUTH 1. Notice these beautiful insights of friendship from the life of Ruth.
A Ruth-like friend is loyal even when you have made a huge mistake.
A Ruth-like friend gives generously without expecting re-payment.
A Ruth-like friend sticks close regardless if you smell, are stubborn or just plain being stupid.
A Ruth-like friend loves you through times of deep heart-ache.
A Ruth-like friend grants you grace when you have taken them for granted.
A Ruth-like friend sacrifices and is often willing to lead a life of insignificance so you can succeed. Even Jesus said, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”
Ruth’s loyalty was legendary.
Ruth faced homesickness, loneliness from not knowing anyone in Bethlehem, and perhaps racism; and not to mention the continued weight of being a widow and frailty from famine, with bleak prospect of new opportunities. Ruth pledged her own future, her generational heritage, and her faith in the Lord and His grace to Naomi.
– Ruth’s loyalty reminds us the importance of family.
– Ruth’s loyalty reminds us that love must move beyond pity to compassionate action.
– Ruth’s loyalty reminds us that conversion from the gods of Moab to the God of Israel is often through crisis; sometimes God allows us to hit rock bottom so that we can realize He is the Rock at the bottom.
– Ruth’s loyalty reminds us that Christian fellowship is essential and not an option.
– Ruth’s loyalty reminds us that risk is reward for the believer; we can risk an uncertain future because God is certainly in the future.